Makes: 6 servings
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- 300 G SUN-DRIED MEAT, DESALTED
- 5 TABLESPOONS ONION, CHOPPED
- 1 TEASPOON GARLIC, CHOPPED
- 2 TABLESPOONS CLARIFIED BUTTER
- ½ TEASPOON ANNATTO SEEDS
- 1 CUP MANIOC FLOUR
- ½ CUP FLAKED CORN MEAL
- PARSLEY TO TASTE, CHOPPED
- SALT AND GROUND PEPPER TO TASTE
Cut the carne de sol into long strips. Sauté onion and garlic in clarified butter with annatto seeds. Add meat and let it brown a little. Add the two types of flour, season with salt and ground pepper and remove from heat. Transfer in batches to a mortar and pound it until meat is shredded and combined to the flour.
In detail: Pestle and mortar are used to grind roasted or sun-dried meat (cured or not in seasonings or salt), until they are reduced to small pieces, and then combined to flour. It is a traditional staple in semi-arid regions of Brazil’s Northeast.