Makes: Serves 12
Preparation Time: 3-4 hours
- 1.5 KG INSIDE ROUND
- 4 TABLESPOONS OF OLIVE OIL
- 2 ONIONS, CUT INTO STRIPS
- 4 GARLIC CLOVES, MINCED
- 6 PEELED AND DESEEDED TOMATOES, CHOPPED
- 1 PEELED RED BELL PEPPER, CUT INTO STRIPS
- 2 TABLESPOONS OF TOMATO PASTE
- 1 BUNCH OF PARSLEY, CHOPPED
- SALT AND BLACK PEPPER TO TASTE
Trim the meat, cut it into thick strips following the grain, and season with salt and black pepper. Heat the olive oil and sear every side of the meat; remove and set aside. In the same pot, braise the onions, garlic, tomatoes, and bell pepper. Add the tomato paste, stir well and put in the meat. Cover with water and cook over medium heat; add more water if needed. When the meat begins to fall apart, shred it with a fork without removing it from the pot, stirring it into the sauce. Add the parsley and serve with white rice or as a sandwich, in a roll.
IN DETAIL: In many Brazilian cities, this dish is similar to “carne à escabeche” – but, in that case, the preparation is different, as it uses vinegar as seasoning and is served cold, as a side dish or appetizer.