Makes: Serves 8
Preparation Time: 3 hours, plus the time to marinate
- 1 WHOLE DOMESTIC FUCK, OFFAL REMOVED
- 1 BOTTLE OF DRY WHITE WINE
- 3 GARLIC CLOVES, MINCED
- ½ CARROT, COARSELY CHOPPED
- 2 CELERY STALKS, COARSELY CHOPPED
- ½ ONION, COARSELY CHOPPED, AND ½ ONION CUT INTO STRIPS
- 2 TABLESPOONS OF BUTTER
- ½ RED CABBAGE, SLICED
- 3 CLOVES
- SALT AND BLACK PEPPER TO TASTE
Allow the duck to rest for at least 4 hours in a marinade made with the wine, garlic, carrot, celery, chopped onion, salt, and black pepper; turn the bird at half the time. Cover with aluminium foil and bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for about 2 hours. Remove the foil and bake for another 20 minutes, until golden. For a side dish, braise the onion cut into strips in butter and add the cabbage; allow it to release a bit of liquid. Add the cloves and cook for a bit over low heat. Season with salt and black pepper and serve with the duck.
IN DETAIL: The German colony at the Itajaí Valley, in Santa Catarina, brought this recipe that, originally, uses all the offal as ingredients for the stuffing.